Old Sheffield plate serving platter

This very good quality Old Sheffield plate serving platter was made by Thomas and James Creswick, of Sheffield who were noted makers of quality Old Sheffield Plate. On the back is stamped their mark of 8 crossed arrows which was first registered in 1811. The length is 560mm or 24″, the width is 412mm, or 16.5″, and it stands 45mm, or 1.75″ high. It weighs in at a hefty 2.56kg, or 5.1lb. The platter is decorated with an applied gadrooned edge of solid silver and at the top isĀ an inset tablet of probably pure silver, to accomodate a crest or armorial. The silver is inset to allow an engraved crest without the problem of the engraver going too deep and exposing the middle layer of copper. The crest features a stork with its right, or dexter, leg resting on an anchor inside a circle containing the motto of the Order of the Garter, the whole being surmounted with an Earl’s coronet. This platter came from the table of General John Pitt KG PC, 2nd Earl of Chatham (1756-1835). He became Earl after the death of his father, the 1st Earl, William Pitt the Elder in 1778. William Pitt the Elder was Prime Minister of Britain twice, 1756-61 and 1766-68, as was his second son, John’s younger brother, William Pitt the Younger in 1783-1801 and 1804-6. John Pitt was invested with the Order of the Garter in 1790. On John Pitt’s death in 1835, the title became extinct as he had no children. The condition is very good. There is some minor loss of silver on the high points on the outer rim and other signs of use in its almost 200 years of life. C1825.